Guidelines for REAL® Seal Use
In order for a product to be approved for the REAL® Seal it must follow these guidelines:
- Dairy products must be made from U.S. produced cow’s milk processed in a U.S. facility and conform to standards for milk and dairy products established by Title 21, Parts 131, 133, 135 of the Code of Federal Regulations as implemented by regulations, adopted by the United States Dept. of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration as of the date of this agreement, knowing that guidelines may be amended from time to time as Federal Standards of Identity change.
- Dairy products for which there is no Federal Standard of Identity will be approved on a case by case basis. In the event that the dairy product is offered for sale or distributed in a jurisdiction requiring a standard for its production, the product must comply with that jurisdiction’s standards in order to use the REAL® Seal.
- Manufactured or combination food products must be manufactured or processed in a U.S. facility and contain only dairy ingredients produced in the United States from U.S. produced cow’s milk.
- The REAL® Seal cannot be used on imported dairy products or products containing imported dairy ingredients such as casein, caseinates, or milk protein concentrate (MPC). All dairy components must be produced in the United States from U.S. produced cow’s milk.
- The REAL® Seal cannot be used on products that use vegetable proteins or vegetable oils to replace a dairy component.
- The REAL® Seal will only certify products owned by the applicant. The applicant must be the owner of the UPC.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the certification of the REAL® Seal:
REAL® Seal Administrator
1602 Jefferson St.
Madison, WI 53711
Phone: (888) 273-7325
Fax: (608) 709-1288